Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Maisy Makes Lemonade - Lemonade

"It's hot today. Maisy is having a nice cold drink. Mmmm. Lemonade."  - Maisy Makes Lemonade, Lucy Cousins


You may have noticed that lately the recipes on my blog have tied into the season--summer is the time for sweet, refreshing delights like fruit salad and strawberry shortcake. Another quintessential summer treat? Lemonade. What's more, it's easy to prepare. Even very young children can get involved.

Maisy Makes Lemonade was a library find. My four year old is in a stage where he still enjoys simple and comforting books like Cousins' Maisy books just as much as he enjoys more mature fare such as Batman versus the Joker. He was quite taken with both on a recent library trip and while neither would have necessarily been what I'd have chosen for him, I do think it's important to give my kids the ability to choose their own books at the library.

So I was going through the stack of library books to read one more time before our beach vacation and as I picked up Maisy Makes Lemonade I thought, Well, there's a good topic for the blog.

For those not familiar with Maisy (though if you have a toddler/preschooler, you should be), she's a mouse who--along with her various animal friends--experiences things that most kids are familiar with. In addition to making lemonade there are Maisy books about going to bed, going shopping, and going to places like the dentist or on vacation. They're told simply with a minimal amount of text on each page and cute, colorful illustrations. The storyline in Maisy Makes Lemonade is simple and predictable (to adults): Maisy shares her lemonade with her friend Eddie (an elephant) and they run out. They decide to make another pitcher. They pick lemons from Maisy's tree and make their lemonade, step by step. Then they enjoy their refreshing beverage. My kids wanted to make their own lemonade after reading it. If you have a small child, it's a good opportunity to suggest making lemonade "just like Maisy."

Lemonade



Ingredients:
  • 6 lemons (or, enough to yield 1 cup of lemon juice)
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used a combination of regular and raw sugar)
  • 5 cups water

1. Slice lemons in half and juice them. We don't have a citrus juicer so I let the boys do it by hand. You need one cup of juice for this recipe.










2. Pour juice through a strainer (into the pitcher you'll be using) to separate juice from seeds.


3. Add sugar and water. Stir everything together. Lemonade is ready to serve, unless you'd like to chill it first.


It was 90* the day we made this! We waited until it cooled off a little and drank it outside.


Disclosure: As an Amazon affiliate I earn a small commission from Amazon purchases via the links and search tools on this site. Thank you for supporting Eat Their Words!

7 comments:

Callie Feyen said...

What a great idea for a hot summer day! Those pictures are great, and I just love the Maisy books! I'll have to try that activity out.

sandhya said...

Sounds lovely. I add a tiny pinch of salt to my lemonade, to give it a 'bite'.

katie said...

I like your idea to integrate a book into the kitchen project. My children and I make homemade lemonade and they enjoy me reading to them. I think I'll have to find this Maisy book when we go to the library next time. Thank you for sharing.

Mary Ann Dames - Reading, Writing, and Recipes said...

This sounds so good. Have you tried making lemonade with Meyer lemons? It has a subtle difference in taste and I find I can use a little less sugar.

Katie Fries said...

Sandhya and Mary Ann, I like your suggestions. I will have to try adding a pinch of salt next time.

Zoe @ Playing by the book said...

Hello Katie!
I don't know how you feel about awards - I know sometimes they're more of a bind than a pleasure, but in case you feel like a bit of celebrating there's something for you today on my blog:
http://www.playingbythebook.net/2010/07/26/a-year-on-and-a-heartful-of-thankyous/
:-)
If you don't want to pass on the award I quite understand - I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I hope a few new readers will discover you at least coming from my site.

Katie Fries said...

Thank you Zoe! I'm honored!